22/05/2013

Meet Teacake - Part One

Want to find out a little more about what Teacake co-founder and Director, Rob Wamsley likes to do when he's not in the studio? I spoke to him about his favourite places in Manchester...

Born in the Ribble Valley, Rob moved to Manchester in 2005 where he attended the Manchester School of Art. Eight years later he is still living in the city which he is proud to call home.



Best place to eat a burger…
It's sightly out of town but the Lowry Theatre in Salford Quays does a really good burger. I was there last week to see the Mary McCartney exhibition which was also brilliant.

Best place to be inspired…
In the summer I like to finish work a bit earlier and cycle to St John's Gardens which is hidden away just off Deansgate. I could sit there for hours with my a magazine, a notepad and a couple of cans of Red Stripe.



Best place to watch live music…
The Deaf Institute has always been a favourite venue of mine. I have also heard good things about Gorilla which is just around the corner from the studio but I haven't managed to catch anyone there yet.

Best place to buy second hand books…
Paramount Book Exchange near Shudehill bus station is a great little book shop full of hidden gems.



Best place for an after work beer…
Sandbar on Grosvenor Street. I have been going in there ever since I moved to Manchester. The pub is actually carved out of a Georgian terrace house with the stairs used as shelves behind the bar. It's got a really nice mix of academics and locals (no suits!) and serves local ale and really good chips.

Best place to spend a lazy Sunday morning…
I like to get up early and cycle to Castlefield Artisan Market . It's got a really good mix of stalls and it is on every Sunday over summer even when it's raining.



Best place for a night out with friends…
Start the night off in Gaslamp for a couple of beers then head to El Rincon for some tapas and then up the Northern Quarter to Terrace.

Best place to go for a bike ride…
I do most of my cycling in the Ribble Valley at the weekend but a nice ride is to Chorlton. In the summer I stop off at San Juan for some tapas and a beer.



Best place to get a fry up…
Cafe North in the Northern Quarter does a really good fry up. Perfect when you're hungover with a strawberry milkshake.

Best place to get a coffee…
Takk in the Northern Quarter. It does really good coffee and the atmosphere is really chilled. It's a great place to work from too when I want to get out of the Studio.



- Jennifer